Sunday, September 8, 2013

Mrs. Porter's Second Grade News

Week of Sept. 9-13, 2013

 

Calendar of Events

Saturday, Sept. 7-Happy Birthday Karmen! Also, Happy Birthday to Daylynn on August 30th!

Wednesday, Sept. 11-8:30AM All School Mass

Friday, Sept. 13-8:30AM  Mrs. Porter’s Class Mass

Friday, Sept. 13-Field Trip permission slip due


I have decided to take another week to give the Unit 2 spelling test.  Please continue to review the words on the lined paper each night.  Also, a “Words to Learn” paper was placed in the Keep in Binder folder in the binder.  Please keep this page in the binder because words will be added to the list throughout the year to be practiced.  Any words that are missed on a spelling test will be added to the Words to Learn list.  It is your child’s responsibility to put papers in the binder where they belong, but please help go through the papers in the evening.  I do encourage parents to look over homework and all papers that come home.  If your child misses problems, have them correct them.  I would also have them fill in the math fact pages for practice.


Next week, we will concentrate on +3 math facts(8+3, 3+3, 5+3, etc.).  I will send that math fact sheet home on Monday that you can use however you wish.  This stays at home.  Five minutes a day concentrating on math facts will make a big difference!  I can really tell the students who are practicing!  The reading log will also come home on Monday, so this will stay in the Keep in Binder section as well.

 
Please be sure to take a look at your child’s planner every night.  This will have some daily communication from school in it and your child’s homework.  I appreciate all of those students who remember to have mom, dad, grandma, or grandpa sign this each night!  They have done a great job getting used to this routine!

I will be assigning the Act of Contrition prayer as part of the nightly homework.  I have included the words at the end of this newsletter so you can make sure to have a copy at home.  I will send home the Reconciliation books periodically, but most of the time we will be working on them here at school.  Make sure to always send the book back the next day!  I think this is probably the fourth Act of Contrition that I have taught at the various parishes/schools I have been at, but the message stays the same!

 
I am attaching my Star of the Week schedule to this newsletter, so please take a look at when your child has the week.  We will be celebrating that student during the week.   You will get a letter and poster the week before your child is the Star of the Week.  Please work on this as a family at home.

 
Our first class mass is next Friday at 8:30AM.  This is a more personal mass where our class is the only one present.  If your child has a part, it will come home on Monday.


Permission slip for Mr. MOJO field trip at Scecina will be due on Friday, Sept. 13.  These will come home on Monday as well.


Please e-mail me if you ever need anything or have questions! 


Here’s the scoop for next week:

Reading: Daily 5 routine, WRAP and Sight word testing, Reading logs

Religion: Chapter 2 in Reconciliation book

Math: Plus 1 or 2 Bingo, addition strategies, +3 math facts

Spelling: Go over words to learn and word preview words for Unit 2.

Science: Butterfly Life Cycle

 

Act of Contrition

My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart.  In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you, whom I should love above all things.  I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.  Our Savior, Jesus Christ, suffered and died for us.  In his name my God, have mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment