Friday, September 14, 2012


Mrs. Porter’s Second Grade News

Week of Sept. 17-21

 

Calendar of Events

Tuesday, Sept. 18-Happy birthday Giovanni!

Wednesday, Sept. 19-Mass at 8:30AM; Citizenship Day

Friday, Sept. 21-Progress reports

 

My blog is up and running-yeah!  If you want to have an e-mail notice whenever I update my blog, just put your e-mail address in the white box at the top of the page and press submit.  I will always have a new blog posted every Friday.  I will also periodically include things during the week.

 

We have officially begun our preparation for the sacrament of Reconciliation!  Look for some activities to come home that have to do with this sacrament.  Please make sure that you have paid $15 for the Reconciliation booklet to Gladys in the Religious Education office if you haven’t already done so. 

 

On Wednesday of this week, we will be discussing Citizenship Day in our classroom.  We will talk about how to be a good citizen and brainstorm ways that we can show good citizenship in our country, community, and school.  This will go nicely with our efforts to pass the light of Christ on to others.

 

Second graders will only be doing the “First in Math” computer program this year.  I will be introducing the program to the students in the next couple of weeks.  This is a fun website that promotes learning math through games and competition.  The Aleks program will not be used by second graders this year.

 

I am really hoping to start listening and assessing each student’s reading abilities this week.  I will be letting you know if I have a great concern about the reading level of your child.  This will also help students pick books at the appropriate level in the library and the classroom.  I will then base my results on forming my reading groups in the classroom.  The students keep improving their stamina during read to self, writing, and read to someone.  What a fun way to become better readers!

 

Part of the reading program emphasizes picking good fit books.  This is a way to help your child pick out books:

 

I- I choose the book

P-What is the purpose for reading it?

I-Does it interest me?

C-Can I comprehend(understand) what the book is about?

K-Do I know most of the words?

 

It looks like we will be using a “paper” progress report this quarter, while we hope to have the “My Student’s Progress” online grading system up and running next quarter.  This first quarter in second grade is basically review and learning procedures, so I have not had a great chance to record many grades.  Your child’s grade will mainly be based on observations in the classroom.

 

Don’t forget to send in those box tops!!  Our class is battling for the lead.

 

Here’s the scoop for next week:

Reading: Pick a good book for Friday book report.  Listen to reading, using prior knowledge in your reading. Read to Self, Read to Someone.  Building stamina!

Religion: Chapter 2 in Reconciliation book

Math: Make 10

Spelling: Word Preview/Rainbow words on Monday; Review test on Friday

Science: Work on science notebooks; life cycles of trees and humans

No comments:

Post a Comment